Friday, July 22, 2011

Week 8 of 52: Isobel Scarf

I had a different project in mind for this week. It was to be the return of the big challenge project; I chose a very cute Knitty pattern, Rondeur by Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark. Sadly, even with my intense dedication to finishing, it is not a 7 day project. Despite its well written instructions, my little buzzing fingers couldn't get it to roll off the needles quickly enough.

In the eleventh hour, Ravelry.com led me to a great substitute project, Isobel by Jacquelynn Vance-Kuss. This pattern is a good fit to continue using the same yarn that I had for my top, Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool. I cast on Tuesday evening and had my last end woven in by Thursday morning, remember that I was pressed to make up for lost time this week.

Week of July 22 to 28:
Yarn: Elsebeth Lavold Silky Tweed; 2 hanks (192 yds/50g)
Needles: US 8/5.0 mm; this needle size is not the suggested size from the pattern, but it is the size that gave me the desired look.
Knitting Plan:
I worked 30 repeats of rows 1-12. So, let's divide that work over a few nights.
Night 1: Setup rows and 7 repeats of main pattern
Night 2: 8 repeats of main pattern
Night 3: 8 repeats of main pattern
Night 4: 7 repeats of main pattern and remaining 4 rows.
Notes:
a) I don't usually use up yarn on fringe, but some times a project is really a right fit for that detail. To ensure that I can confidently knit until my yarn runs out, I usually cut the fringe first. On this project, I cut it before adding in the second ball. I like to use a DVD case as my standard fringe guide, as there is a short or along choice. I cut 40 pieces, wrapped along the long side, planning on putting 2 strands into each of the 10 and 10 eyelets on either end of the scarf.





b)This lace repeat is very addictive. To keep a speedy flow, I use locking ring markers to count my rows. I keep track of two sets at a time, placing the marker into the side of the sixth eyelet made in each set. I only need two markers; when I have finished the third set, I leap frog the lower marker up to the top to mark the newly completed set.

c) This stitch pattern calls for an SKP(slip one st., knit one, and pass slipped st over knit one). I find this decrease lacking elegance and prefer an SSK which you can learn about in Kaity's recent How-To. My true favorite is the single step SSK which is worked as follows: Insert your needle into the first st. knitwise and the second st. through the back loop. Knit these sts. as for a knit 2 together.

If you are viewing this post far from driving distance from our store, then please remember that we will happily take phone orders. Here is a link to a color card to ease your color choosing process. Call us @ (805) 654-9500. (There will be a postage charge for shipping.) Also, I want to mention that we have refined the 10%off sale to apply when you are buying the yarn for the featured project.

P.S. If this idea really lights you up, then you can also join a ravelry group here.




No comments: