Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 15 of 52: Bainbridge Scarf








This little crisp cowl is the perfect thing to whip up as we wait out the steam afternoons of September, waiting for the weather to break into brisk, crisp mornings. This Debbie Bliss Andes is a delicious treat for the fingers, creating lovely halo as the alpaca blooms. It is a very fast knit which is good because I have a lot to do to get ready for our booth at Vogue Knitting Live.

Week of September 9 to September 15:
Project: Bainbridge Scarf by MintyFresh
Yarn:  1 hank of Debbie Bliss Andes (110 yds/50g, 65% Alpaca, 35% Silk); I used up almost every inch of yarn.


Needles: US 6/4mm; I went up a needle size since my yarn is little fluffier; this             choice only made my cowl a little bigger than the pattern sample.

Knitting Plan: 
You will be hard pressed to make this quick little project take more than oneor two sittings, but here is a plan for 3 evenings.
Night 1 - CO and work 2 inches.
Night 2 - Work remaining 2 inches and BO.
Night 3 - Work ties and weave in ends.


Notes:
a) So, I was in a big hurry when I picked up this yarn and needed to leave without winding it. Though I have a swift and ball winder at home, I lack a good place to set it up. In a pinch, I stretch the hankover two chairs and wind a ball by hand.
b) I used a long tail cast on to cast on the desired 144 sts. To estimate how long that tail should be, I wrap the yarn around my needle some multiple of the needed sts. (I did 24 wraps). Then, I fold that length of yarn over as many times as needed (6 times). It worked out perfectly.
c) I used a sewn BO.

If you are viewing this post far from driving distance from our store, then please remember that we will happily take phone orders. Here is color card. Call us @ (805) 654-9500. (There will be a postage charge for shipping.) Also, I want to mention that we have refined the 10%off sale to apply when you are buying the yarn for the featured project.
P.S. If this idea really lights you up, then you can also join a ravelry group here.

No comments: