Friday, September 30, 2011

Week 18 of 52: Lacey 48 St. Hat

Well, I am back in the swing of things and on top of this weekly project! As I love making hats, I wanted to tweak my 56 St Hat one more time. I present the Lacey 48 St. Hat. It is very fast to whip up and can be done in just about one sitting. My friend popped by just in time to serve graciously as my model.

To makeup for Week 17 coming along so late, Berroco Sundae will remain on sale this week along with Nashua Creative Focus Bulky.

Week of September 30 to October 6:
Project: Lacey 48 St. Hat by Anne Lecrivain-Cozzoli
Yarn: 1 hank of Nashua Creative Focus Bulky (54 yds/100g, 75% wool, 25% Alpaca)
Needles: US 15/10mm 16" circular
Knitting Plan:
This is, again, pretty much a one sitting knit. I started around 3 this afternoon while children played. My friend and I knitted together while toddlers chased, preteens did their thing, and baby Bella cooed and watched. That peaceful setup lasted for nearly an hour and a half in which I was most of the way through the body of the hat. Then, I paused to make dinner, returning to complete a couple of body rows and finish out the decreases. Now that it is time to send everyone to bed (around 8), I already have ends woven in and photos taken. If you want to savor it, you could spread it over two evenings like last week's hat.
Notes:
a) Remember that markers are your friends. They will help you keep track of where you are.
b) If you use a long tail cast on, be very careful not to waste much in the tail. This hat used up nearly every inch of this ball of yarn. I did leave a very long tail and I found my self needing to cut it off (after weaving a bit in) and attach it to the working end to finish out the last 6 sts of rnd 8 and the remaining round 9.
c)Working with DPNs is not so bad, but you can avoid them by dividing your sts evenly onto two circular needles.
d) I didn't use it here, but someone recently shared that you could sew a button on the top of your hat instead of a pompom. Though I have a warm place in my heart for pompoms, I think that a big wonderful button would certainly be the cherry on top of this quick, cute hat.


If you are viewing this post far from driving distance from our store, then please remember that we will happily take phone orders. Here is color card. Call us @ (805) 654-9500. (There will be a postage charge for shipping.) Also, I want to mention that we have refined the 10%off sale to apply when you are buying the yarn for the featured project.
P.S. If this idea really lights you up, then you can also join a ravelry group here.

1 comment:

Megan R said...

I see you got your knitting basket in the pic too! :)