Friday, August 26, 2011

Week 13 of 52: Wavy [Malabrigo] Scarf


My school age child has returned to school and I am craving the oncoming fall. Two things fulfill this craving, scarves and pumpkin flavored things.I have always been a fan of a scarf that is cast on long ways. I have been known to state that I can easily see doing a finite number of very long rows rather than a seemingly infinite number of shorter rows. This scarf was completed in 24 rows and lived up to every bit of fun that the classic feather and fan pattern offers!
Week of August 26 through September 2
Yarn: Malabrigo Worsted, 1 hank of 210yds/100g
Needles: US 11/8.0mm; the pattern calls for US13/9.0mm, but I knit on the loose side.
Knitting Plan:
Night 1 - CO and work 2 repeats of the pattern st.
Night 2 - Work 2 repeats of the pattern st.
Night 3 - Work 2 repeats of the pattern st and BO.
Notes:
a) As my yarn has a little less yardage than the pattern called for, I was planning to cast on 180 sts rather than 216. I then changed the plan and decided to cast on the 216 sts called for in the pattern and do less pattern repeats. I think that I will have more control over the yardage with this new plan.
b) I placed my markers as I cast on. Markers are sanity helpers and make for a successful count the first time.
c) In an effort to know how many rows I can get out of my 210yds/100g, I will measure the ball at the beginning of a row repeat, 82g and, then again at the end of the fourth row, 68g. I can then figure out how much I can get out of the remaining weight. With each repeat taking 14g, I can easily complete 4 more repeats and the bind off row for a total of 6 pattern repeats instead of the 8 that the pattern calls for. This scarf is still going to be plenty wide.
d)Be sure to bind off very loosely so that the wavy edge has a chance to bloom and roll along. You could bring in a larger needle just to be on the safe side.e)I resorted to my very favorite and most lazy way of blocking, steam. Be sure that you do not let your iron touch the knitting as it will smash and distort your stitches rather than open them up; simply hover above each section as you hit the steam button. I do a section that fits on the board, hit it with steam, stretch and shape, let it cool, and move to the next section.If you are viewing this post far from driving distance from our store, then please remember that we will happily take phone orders. Here are color cards: multis and solids. Call us @ (805) 654-9500. (There will be a postage charge for shipping.) Also, I want to mention that we have refined the 10%off sale to apply when you are buying the yarn for the featured project.
P.S. If this idea really lights you up, then you can also join a ravelry group here.


No comments: