Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Countdown to Knitmas - Day 19!

Today, I bring you another helpful hint that might be old news for some or, it might be just the thing you need to hear before starting in on your newest most lovely silky or slippery yarn.

When you are going to use a smooth or slippery yarn, for example, silk, rayon, a particularly slick novelty, etc, you should not pull from the center! Use the outside strand of that ball. Most of my sanity will be retained as I use this silk blend lace weight and use that outside end.


Yarns made from animal fibers benefit the most from being pulled from the center, relaxing into the extra air in the ball as the center is removed.

I am also coming around to pulling from the outside on most commercially wound balls. Saves me the trouble of dealing with the guts of the ball on the first pull.


Happy Needling,
Anne

No comments: