Monday, December 24, 2012

Countdown to Knitmas - Day 24!

Happy Christmas Eve everyone! Today I have a quick tip for you to make your Long-tail cast on a little easier.

There's nothing worse than starting your long tail cast-on, and running out of yarn with just a few stitches left (especially if you've cast on a LOT of stitches, ask me how I know!). Here's a quick and dirty way to estimate how long of a tail to leave.

In this example, I need to cast on 20 stitches. All you need to do is wrap the yarn around your needle the number stitches to cast on:

So here I wrapped my yarn 20 times around my needle. If you have to cast on, say, 100 stitches, just wrap the yarn 10 times around the needle, and measure out the amount of yarn it took, then leave that long of a tail x10, make sense?

Then unwrap the yarn from your needle, give yourself another few inches just to be safe, make your slip knot, and you're good to go!

Hope this helps! Happy knitting,
<3: Kaity

No comments: